Vegan 'Turkey' Gravy
This easy, savoury vegan gravy is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner.
Servings: 6 people
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- ¼ cup flour (for gluten free: brown rice flour) (32g)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning (or fines herbes) (or ¼ tsp each marjoram, thyme, sage, rosemary)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 cups vegetable or 'no chicken' stock (500ml)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used full fat oat milk) (250ml)
Make the Roux:
In your saucepan over medium heat, add your vegan butter and heat until melted. Add your flour and use your whisk to combine. Cook this mixture, stirring frequently, until it turns a slightly golden colour.
Make the Gravy:
Reduce heat to low and add the garlic and onion powders, ground black pepper, as well as the poultry seasoning / fines herbes. Add your soy sauce and vegetable stock and stir to combine (the mixture will bubble vigorously upon adding liquid).
Once combined, add your milk and stir, returning the heat to medium-low, until thickened. Serve immediately. It can be reheated by adding a little broth to the saucepan with the cooled gravy until it warms and becomes pourable.