Well, it’s been an interesting week here for the blog – after some mishap with AWS and server imaging and other technical concepts I previously was only somewhat aware of, the website is back up and now appears to be stable. Serious shout-out to the AWS employee in South Africa that spent hours working with us, and my engineer husband who is thankfully far more tech savvy than I.
I’ve also been fighting the diminishing daylight to get photographs of food, battling illness and work and school drop-offs, and single-parenting as my partner travels extensively for work. I’ll admit that most of our weeknight meals have been relatively unglamourous salads with a protein, or simple rice dishes just to get through the week. I’ve been trying to get more adventurous with the few vegetables in the supermarket that are still tasty during winter, as well as placate my picky ten-year-old, and carrots are an easy win.
Luckily, these carrots are both easy to make, and delicious. Carrots are inexpensive, usually universally liked by even the pickiest children, and keep in the fridge for a pretty long time. Pick smaller carrots that tend to have a sweeter flavour (and are quicker to roast), but any size carrots will do – you’ll just need to adjust your cooking time to suit the size. I use both dried, ground and fresh coriander (cilantro) in this dish, though you can substitute fresh parsley if you prefer. All in all, this is a super simple weeknight side that your kids won’t complain about and compliment a variety of main dishes. I’ve used honey here, but brown sugar also works great and makes the dish vegan.
Glazed Coriander Carrots
- Roasting tray and parchment or aluminium foil
- 2 bunches carrots, tops removed (about 700g / 25oz)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp honey or brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider or rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus more for garnish
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- small handful fresh coriander (cilantro), for garnish, finely chopped (optional, can also use parsley)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C), prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment or tin foil. Peel your carrots and cut the tops off, and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine oil, honey or brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ground coriander, salt, and pepper. Place the carrots on the baking sheet and pour the mixture over the carrots, tossing to combine.
- Roast in the oven until easily pierced with a fork, around 25 minutes. Larger or thicker carrots may need an additional 10-15 minutes cooking time.